Lucky Iron Fish cooking tool, 1 unit
Lucky Iron Fish is a simple and effective cooking tool that can provide a portion of your daily required iron intake. Simply boil in 1L of water or any liquid or broth based meals with 2-3 drops of acidity* and enjoy your iron rich drinking water or food.
*Acidity can be citrus juice (lemon, lime), vinegars or tamarind. Broth made with tomatoes or stock cubes does not need extra acidity added.
- Social impact - when you buy one we donate one to a family in need
- Clinically tested, safe, and easy to use
- Reusable for 5 years with daily use
5 HELPFUL HINTS TO GET THE MOST FROM YOUR LUCKY IRON FISH!
- Use daily or at least 3 times per week. The Lucky Iron Fish is tested for safety and quality and you won’t get too much iron from daily use.
- Wash your Lucky Iron Fish with soap and water before each use to keep the water clear and to prevent an “irony” taste.
- Use it to make drinking water. You can also boil your Lucky Iron Fish in soups, stews, sauces, rice or caffeine-free teas - anything where the liquid is fully consumed and absorbed.
- Boil the Lucky Iron Fish for just 10 minutes and use only 2-3 drops of acidity* - more isn’t better and can impact taste.
- Rusting is harmless and can be cleaned. Prevent it by cleaning and drying your Lucky Iron Fish as soon as you remove it from the pot and remove any rust spots with soap or lemon juice before the next use. Also try using Lucky Iron Fish Protection Oil.
*Acidity can be citrus juice ( e.g. lemon, lime), vinegars or tamarind. Broth made with tomatoes or stock cubes does not need extra acidity added.
1. HOW MUCH IRON DOES THE LUCKY IRON FISH RELEASE?
The Lucky Iron Fish releases low levels of iron and the amount depends on the length of cooking time and the acidity level of the water (pH) of the water. When used as directed (boiling for 10 minutes in 1 L of water with 2-3 drops of acidity) the Lucky Iron Fish releases 2-7mg of bioavailable iron. Most diets have 5-10 mg of iron per day. The daily recommended intake of iron varies by age, gender, diet type, and health status.
2. CAN I GET TOO MUCH IRON FROM THE LUCKY IRON FISH?
The Lucky Iron Fish releases low levels of iron. We recommend that you talk to your doctor before using any type of supplement and follow the usage instructions. The Lucky Iron Fish would have to be intentionally misused to excess (e.g. boiling for a very long time with multiple Lucky Iron Fish in the water). This would make the water smell and taste horrible. Here's a link to published research on safety: www.luckyironfish.com/pages/research.
3. IS THE LUCKY IRON FISH SAFE FOR EVERYONE TO USE?
The Lucky Iron Fish releases low levels of iron and is safe to use for most individuals. We do not recommend using the Lucky Iron Fish if you have a hemoglobin variant such as Hemochromatosis*.
Hemochromatosis is a genetic disorder that makes it difficult for the body to deal with iron. Individuals with this disorder should not use Lucky Iron Fish. If you are not certain or have any concerns, make sure that you consult your doctor.
Infants under 12 months of age should not be given water or food cooked with the Lucky Iron Fish, however it can be safely used by nursing mothers.
4. WHAT KIND OF IRON IS THE LUCKY IRON FISH MADE FROM AND HOW DO I KNOW IT’S SAFE?
The Lucky Iron Fish is made from natural bioavailable iron, which is safely and easily absorbed by the body.
Every batch of Lucky Iron Fish is tested to make sure that the fish releases iron that can be absorbed by the body at a level that will not cause toxicity. We also make sure that there are no contaminants in the iron that might be harmful to human health. In addition to batch testing, we conduct random spot tests by independent laboratories Ontario, Canada. Our manufacturer, is ISO 9002 (International Organization for Standardization) certified and undergoes re-audits by SGS International twice each year to ensure continuous improvement of all quality-related systems.
5. HOW OFTEN SHOULD I USE THE LUCKY IRON FISH?
Iron is absorbed by the body slowly and in small quantities. You should use the Lucky Iron Fish daily (at a minimum of three times per week) over an extended period of time (3-12 months).
6. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET RESULTS?
It varies by individual. In our clinical trials, women reported that they were feeling better within 3 months of use and we saw positive changes in iron levels in the blood after 6 months of use.
7. WHAT IF MY LUCKY IRON FISH GETS RUSTY?
It is normal for cast iron to rust slightly. It is harmless and by following the use and care instructions, rust can be prevented or minimized. To prevent rust from building up, be sure to add only 2-3 drops of acidity (e.g. lemon juice) when boiling the Fish. Wash and dry your Lucky Iron Fish with a clean cloth as soon as you remove it from the cooking pot and store it in a dry place. To remove rust, scrub your Fish with soap and water or clean it with lemon juice. You can also apply a bit of Lucky Iron Fish Protection Oil to your clean and dry Fish.
8. WILL IT MAKE MY FOOD OR WATER TASTE LIKE IRON?
The majority of users report no iron taste or discolouration of their water or food. Usually when there is a strong taste or discolouration with a Lucky Iron Fish it is because of a couple of possibilities:
- Not washing the Lucky Iron Fish with soap and water prior to boiling
- Using too much acidity when boiling - 2-3 drops is all you need
- Boiling the Lucky Iron Fish for too long - a fish should only be in a boiling pot for 10 minutes
9. WHY NOT JUST USE A CAST IRON PAN?
Cooking in iron pans releases iron but it is difficult to determine how much is released and whether that iron can be absorbed by the body. Iron cooking pots and skillets tend to rust. Although rust is not harmful, it is ferric iron which is not well absorbed by the body. Many manufacturers of iron pots and skillets recommend that you 'seal' the pan by heating it at high temperatures with oil. 'Sealing' the pan blocks the release or iron during cooking.
Lucky Iron Fish is made from a specific type of iron. Its shape, size and weight are calculated to release a consistent amount of iron that can be absorbed by the body every time it is used. For optimal results, we recommend that you boil 1 litre of drinking water with the Fish and 2-3 drops of acidity such as lemon juice.
10. WHEN SHOULD I REPLACE MY LUCKY IRON FISH?
As iron is leached off the Lucky Iron Fish into the cooking water, the features on its surface will eventually wear down. We recommend that when the “smile” on your fish has faded it is time to buy a new one (usually after about 5 years).
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
Customers also viewed